/* smartlook code starts */

Safety comes first! Molybdenum Disulfide is an inorganic compound used in the manufacturing of heat resistant lubricants that can be found in greases, oil dispersions, resin bonded films, dry powders, hydrogenation catalyst, and anti-seize compounds. It has many mechanical and optical properties and advantages, such as being a stronger alternative to graphite in high-vacuum applications. This magnificently layered and structured compound is readily available for commercial use, however, many who are new to using the solvent are not fully aware of its safety and hazardous features. Without proper knowledge of its risk and safety precautions, injury (or worse!) can occur. Not to worry – we have a guide to help you use your Moly Kit safely and effectively. 

Warnings when using Molybdenum Disulfide

There are important warnings you should know when handling your Moly Kit. These include:

  • Molybdenum Disulfide is highly flammable as a liquid and vapor. 
  • It can be harmful if ingested
  • It can irritate if exposed to skin contact and serious eye corrosions
  • Suspected to damage the fertility of unborn child 
  • Prolonged exposure to Molybdenum Disulfide can cause organ damage

How to prevent injury or harm when using Molybdenum Disulfide

The warnings may seem dire but there are simple solutions to preventing injury. Here are some tips:

  • Ensure that you read and fully understand all the special instructions on your Moly kit. Contact a professional if you do not understand anything. It is always better to ask than to assume!
  • Keep your Moly kit away from heat, open flame, or any source that can ignite. No smoking near the kit!
  • Make sure the kit is tightly closed and sealed. Store in a well-ventilated area. This will prevent leaks or children from accessing the kit.
  • When using Molybdenum Disulfide, remember that it is a highly flammable liquid and vapor. Ensure that you use non-sparking kits and explosion-proof electrical equipment. 
  • Use protective clothing when handling such as eye protection, face masks, and ventilators. Do not expose skin to the solvent. Do not breathe any vapors or fume. 
  • Wash hands thoroughly after handling. 

What to do if exposure occurs

  • If exposed to skin, rinse thoroughly with water. 
  • If you are not feeling well after contact with the solvent, seek medical advice immediately. 
  • If swallowed, call a poison center or doctor immediately.
  • If exposed to skin, rinse thoroughly with water. 
  • If you are not feeling well after contact with the solvent, seek medical advice immediately. 
  • If swallowed, call a poison center or doctor immediately.

If you have been exposed or know of someone who has been exposed to the harmful effects of the solvent, remove the person from the area of exposure, provide artificial respiration or CPR if needed, keep the victim warm and call an ambulance as soon as you can. If possible, remove any contaminated clothing and make the victim drink a glass of water while waiting on an ambulance or poison control center. If the victim is unconscious, do not give him/her water. This may lead to choking. 

The safe disposal of Molybdenum Disulfide

To safely dispose of Molybdenum Disulfide, follow local regulations and ensure it complies with OSHA Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200) and is consistent with the provisions of the United Nations Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS). Due to its highly flammable nature, empty containers can be dangerous. It is therefore imperial that empty cans are not pressurized, cut, exposed to any flame or sparks, or reused without proper cleaning. 

In the case of accidental spilling, the use of water spray to disperse the vapors should suffice. Do not walk through the spilled area. If possible, close off the area for cleanup. Ensure that non-flammable material is used during cleanup. The liquid should be properly cleaned with dry sand, then placed in a chemical waste container for disposal.

Consult the experts

When it comes down to using your Moly Kit, you might need help. This is where we come to your rescue. Heron Industries has a safety guideline and professional help to assist you when needed. Your safety is in good hands with us! For more information on your Moly Kit safety and products, give us a call today!

WHOLESALE RATES

WHOLESALE RATES